Thursday, July 30, 2009

What are some good sources regarding specific results of the cracking of the enigma code during world war II?

I am doing a research paper on the enigma code. I have found some good sources on what it was and how it was cracked, but some information about specific battles it helped in would be very helpful.

What are some good sources regarding specific results of the cracking of the enigma code during world war II?
I'm don't have sources for most of these, but I've watched the History Channel and done some looking, so I'll give you what I know. It seems that components of the Germany Navy variant of the Enigma were first captured by the British in February 1940, and that a complete setup was captured May 9, 1941. I remember hearing on the History Channel that the Allies could decrypt German cyphers while they were in Africa and knew when and where Germany supply flights would be. They only attacked some of them, because if they attacked them all the Nazis would realize their code was broken and would reengineer it. It would've definitely helped with the June 6, 1944 invasion of Normandy (D-Day), and Wikipedia says that it helped hint at the Battle of the Bulge, but that the information wasn't properly acted upon. Hope this helps with your paper!
Reply:the most useful information can usually be found at uncyclopedia.org


No comments:

Post a Comment