Friday, July 31, 2009

How can the court require Microsoft to share source code to rivals?

After reading a few articles, I'm not sure why a court can order Microsoft to share it's code with rivals. I'm NOT a fan of MS, but I'm also unclear why it's research and design can be ordered to be revealed. Any thoughts?

How can the court require Microsoft to share source code to rivals?
I suspect some of this ruling is due less to evidence at hand than to legacy market practices from MS. I'm not a fan of MS, either, and MS' previous "use us or die" marketing succeeded in stifling competition. I think this is remaining fallout over those practices from 10-15 years ago.





That said, I think there's also a keen interest in promoting European distributions of Linux -- particularly SuSE, which is based in Germany. I think there's a political element to this ruling that is also incompatible with objective justice and fair trade practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment